By supporting innovators and leaders of the future from across the Commonwealth, and by attracting outstanding talent to Britain’s universities, our work combines sustainable development with the UK national interest.
To date, over 27,800 people have taken up Commonwealth Scholarships since the first group of 175 Scholars arrived in the UK in 1960. During those six decades the scheme has constantly developed, adapting to the very different world of a 53-nation Commonwealth of 2019.
Commonwealth Scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are offered to citizens from low and middle income Commonwealth countries. Scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interests, supporting excellence in UK higher education, and sustaining the principles of the Commonwealth.
The CSC offers:
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for low and middle income countries)
- Commonwealth Split-site Scholarships (for low and middle income countries)
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
- Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
- Commonwealth PhD Scholarships (for high income countries)
- Commonwealth Rutherford Fellowships
- Commonwealth Medical Fellowships
- Commonwealth Professional Fellowships
The CSC also nominates UK citizens for Commonwealth Scholarships to study in other Commonwealth countries.